I’ve only recently come to know who Emma Chamberlain is – can I show my age anymore? So when I came across this Podcast I was ecstatic – a first hand perspective from a ‘sort-of ‘ celebrity.

Apparently, Emma has always been obsessed with the met gala and thinks it’s “mind blowing” she was even invited but considering she has 10.1 million YouTube subscribers and 12.8 million Instagram followers, are we surprised? Despite this popularity, she had a lot of fear leading up to the event. Invited by Vogue to interview guests on the red carpet, this was Emma’s first gala. In the podcast, Emma is open about her ongoing anxiety disorder and leading up to the event was no different. She tried to squelch the anxiety by reminding herself this was a once in a lifetime opportunity and deep down she does believe in herself. Although she didn’t say this, I’m sure being flown to Paris to get fitted in her gala dress by Louis Vuitton eased her fears.

Photo credit: Cosmopolitan.com

Along with her stylist, her ‘team’ and Nicola from Louis Vuitton, Emma got a say in the design of her dress. She wanted her dress to reflect that she wanted to “look like a woman, not just a girl, not a 16-year-old on the internet.” Traditionally, Emma feels most comfortable in edgy, tomboy clothes, but as she gets older she doesn’t want to be seen “just as the little girl on the internet that no one takes seriously.” Sweats have always made her feel confident and dressing up made her feel uncomfortable but the met gala changed this.

The prep leading up to the met gala was a two week affair. Emma flew to NYC where she had meetings, nail and hair appointments, rehearsals for her 3 paparazzi camera poses – all this for a 7 minute walk on a red carpet. The actual event went well despite some awkward moments when she first started interviewing people – she kept forgetting to put the mike to their face and when she did, it just felt weird and in their personal space. This went on for 3 hours until she went inside for the dinner at which point she had no desire to socialize – just eat.

Her favourite moment was interviewing Kacey Musgraves and her favourite outfits were on Rosalia, Hunter Schafer, Kendall Jenner and Megan Fox.

Getty Images

Overall, Emma reassured her listeners there was “no weirdness, it was comfortable and very human – just a bunch of people in crazy outfits mingling.”