As a self-described talker, the idea of discussing educational issues with other individuals in the field is very apealling. I process thoughts verbally – more than any other platform. EdCamp allows for a variety of opinions and ideas to be heard in a collegial manner. It also appears to foster connection between individuals which doesn’t always occur during a speaker/audience situation. That connection can then be brought back into schools where collaboration can occur. Hearing other perspectives can open your eyes to a different point of view or way of looking at things. Additionally, from a completely selfish angle, as a new teacher, it’s also a wonderful opportunity to meet other teachers who may want to call you in as a TOC after getting a chance to connect with you.

I really enjoyed our class discussions on the topics we chose and it was interesting for me to see what my fellow cohort members are passionate about. MENTAL HEALTH concerns screamed from the top of the mountain. I’m curious … would mental health have been the top contender 10 years ago? I’m curious about why we think it has become such an issue/concern – what is contributing to it? Has it always been there and we’re just now paying attention to its impact? How can we as educators help our learners with mental health? Let the converations begin!