... all the while learning, exploring, inquiring and trying new things

Week #5 Sketchnoting – I’m a fan

I launched into this tutorial thinking I would be downloading some kind of software that would enable me to insert cute little sketches, boxes, arrows, and fonts into my notes – WRONG! Sketchnoting is all on you. You are the software! Researchers have found the benefits of visual note taking are far more effective that taking typed notes on a laptop. In fact, if you want to read the article The Pen is Mightier than the Keyboard in all your spare time, https://goo.gl/HqfPQ2 it explains it perfectly.

I’ve always suspected the power of pen to paper. For example, I retain my grocery list, when I actually write it down, and then end up forgetting it when I leave for the store. I’ve also found I retain more information when I write notes in class than simply relying on the teacher’s accessible slides. By adding sketches to these notes, we give ourselves multiple clues to remember the information in the future.

I am going to attempt sketchnoting for my upcoming assignments and tasks and then post it here.

« »